BULKY ITEM COLLECTION
To schedule a Bulky Item Collection, click here.
- The Town collects bulky items Monday through Friday.
- Bulk item collection is for single-family and residential units only.
- Residents shall call the Public Works Department at 336-838-0188 of bulk items to be collected by the Town of Wilkesboro. If no answer, please leave message with name, address and telephone number.
- Weight limits and fees will apply to the collection of bulk goods. If a customer fills a truck with bulky items to such an extent that it requires a trip to the landfill, the customer will be required to pay for the tipping fee and mileage which will be assessed at the current rate.
- Unacceptable bulky, unapproved electronics, or banned items will not be collected. The citizen must take to the landfill for disposal themselves.
- Approved electronics or large loads - please contact Public Works for appointment.
- After notification to Public Works, a truck will be delivered and, at the discretion of the Public Works Director, loaded by the resident. A service fee will be assessed as listed in a fee schedule approved by the Town Council. Each resident must complete and sign a Town of Wilkesboro Truck Policy Statement. Charges for collection will be invoiced by Public Works Department.
- Non-residential illegal dumping or burning of bulky items is not permitted.
What Bulky Items CAN be collected curbside?
Household furnishings & similar household items
Mattresses & box springs
Television & Computer Equipment - must be dropped off at Public Works Department or by appointment only.
Small household appliances
Large white goods, such as refrigerators, washers, dryers or dishwashers - make sure no children can gain access to appliances while awaiting collection. Penalty, see § 51.99
Lawn equipment such as mowers, trimmers, wheelbarrows - must remove gasoline.
Bicycles - tires must be removed.
Large glass items such as windows, doors, mirrors, plate glass - must have glass taped with an X so it will not shatter in the collection process.
What Bulky Items CANNOTbe collected curbside?
Consult with Wilkes County Landfill by resident for disposal.
Commercial tree trimmers, lawn care care services, contractors, builders, etc. shall dispose of their own limbs, trees, leaves, shrubbery, underbrush, building materials & refuse before leaving their job sites. If not removed, the removal is the property owners responsibility to dispose of at the Wilkes County Landfill.
Any business items including appliances and equipment
Hazardous refuse or industrial waste
Building materials - must be removed by property owner or contractor
Items that are a consequence of a fire
Furnaces & central air conditioner units
Human or animal tissue
Ashes - hot or cold
Hypodermic syringes, needles or any items for injections that are not in a milk jug, coffee can or other container with a lid.
Wax or plastic coated corrugated sheets or boxes.
Oxygen tanks and other medical equipment
Propane tanks or large oil tanks
Vehicle exterior and interior parts for automotive, campers, boats, camper shells, trailers, etc.
Items too large to fit on collection vehicle
Items that reasonably require more than 2 person to lift.
Any other items at the Public Works Director's discretion.